Carbon monoxide (CO) is a silent killer. Hundreds are killed each year, and thousands more are rushed to hospital emergency rooms due to carbon monoxide poisoning. Large amounts of CO can overtake you in minutes- causing you to loose consciousness and suffocate. Children, unborn babies, the elderly, and the infirm are at the greatest risk. The only way to protect yourself and your family is to know the warning signs. If you or a loved one is experiencing severe headaches, dizziness, mental confusion, nausea, or fainting, seek medical treatment immediately
Produced by burning fuels like gas, oil, kerosene, wood, or charcoal, CO is harmless in small amounts; however, if the appliances in your home, school, or work area are not functioning properly, you or your family may be exposed to deadly levels of the gas. A few simple precautions may save your life.
- Insist that oil and gas furnaces, gas water heaters, gas or kerosene space heaters, fireplaces, wood stoves, and chimneys are inspected by a professionally trained individual at the beginning and end of each fuel-burning season.
- Request that all fume-creating appliances be vented directly outdoors.
- Make sure that all fuel-burning appliances are properly installed and maintained according to the manufacturers’ instructions.
- Never idle your vehicle in your garage; the deadly fumes may seep into living areas.
- Do not use charcoal grills inside your home.
- Never use internal-combustion engines in confined spaces.
- When using a fuel-burning appliance, keep a window cracked. This will help ventilate your living area. Never sleep in a room with an unventilated space heater.
- Install carbon monoxide alarms in your home, but remember, not all alarms are the same. Make sure you choose a model with an emergency battery back-up.
- Never ignore the warning signs. If you think you are being exposed to CO, get outside as soon a possible.
If careless actions taken by your landlord or employer are putting your family at risk, contact us immediately. Let our family fight for your family.
At Munley, Munley & Cartwright, our goal is to provide exceptional legal services to our clients. We strive to achieve the highest standard of excellence for the protection of individual rights through team work and the use of our considerable resources and experience. Whether we’re gathering evidence, giving advice, or talking with insurance companies, we are always your representative.